Yoga has been globally accepted as the most beneficial form of exercise for chronic ailments. Yoga has evolved over the years and many variations are being practised. Baba Ramdev Yoga is very popular, he has revived the practice of Yoga. Yoga treatment for hearing loss helps in increasing Hearing power by reducing stress and increasing the blood flow to the parts of the ear. Some Asanas or exercises are highly recommended for Tinnitus Cure. We had covered some Asanas in our previous article Yoga Exercises for Better Hearing. In this article, we will cover some more Yoga treatment for Hearing Loss.
Can Yoga Treatment for Hearing Loss Help Us?
Yoga is a natural Hearing Loss treatment. Yoga for the ear also aids other parts of the body.
The Asanas or exercises help in improving the flow of blood to the targeted areas. The blood reaches the internal parts of the ear through small capillaries or blood vessels. As we grow old the blood flow reduces causing Sensorineural Hearing Loss.
- Yoga treatment for hearing loss recommends Asanas or exercises to relax the muscles and the tissues. This reduces the stress in the particular area.
- Asanas or exercises help the body to release Endorphins. These are feel-good Hormones which bring positivity into our daily life.
Below are some Yoga Asanas or exercises to help increase Hearing Power.
Make use of Yoga accessories freely available. Wear comfortable Yoga pants and use Yoga Mats.
Trikonasana or the Triangle Pose
Trikonasana is so called as the body forms a triangle or Trikon (Triangle in Sanskrit). In this position, the blood rushes to the head. The flow of blood relaxes the muscles. The ears will also pop if the person is suffering from blockage of the ears. Trikonasana is also recommended as a Tinnitus Cure.
- Do not do this Asana on a full stomach.
- Keep your eyes open.
Easy steps for Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
- Spread your feet apart comfortably, about 31/2 to 4 feet and stretch your arms fully.
- Turn the right foot through 90 degrees and the left foot through 15 degrees.
- Make sure that your feet are firmly on the ground and the weight is evenly distributed on both feet.
- Inhale deeply in the standing position. Bend slowly from the waist towards your right exhaling slowly at the same time.
- Your right hand will be close to the ground while the left arm will be above you in the air. Both arms should be in a straight line.
- Rest your right hand on your shin or your ankle depending on your comfort level. Your left arm should be pointing up and both the shoulders should be in line.
- Slowly turn your head upwards, your eyes pointing towards your left hand.
- Stretch your body to the fullest without bending forward or backwards.
- Inhale and exhale, this will relax your body.
- Come up slowly while inhaling. Come back to your starting pose, legs together and hands by your side.
- Repeat the same Asana by stretching out your left foot this time.
Ustrasana or Camel Pose
The Ustrasana is very beneficial for the ear. Besides increasing blood flow to the ears and the head, it exercises the throat and the chest region. Reduces problems in the ear by clearing blocks in the throat. By bending backwards the body stretches the front part of the body or the chest. This helps in increasing breathing capacity and reduces respiratory diseases.
Do not try if suffering from-
- A Hernia
- Low Blood Pressure
- A Migraine
- Back Injury
Easy Steps for Ustrasana or Camel Pose
Persons who have not done Ustrasana before should start with Ardh Ustrasana or half Camel pose. After reaching a comfortable stage they should start with Ustrasana.
For Ardh Usrtasana practice step 1 to step 3 and Come back to the position no 1. Beginners can use Yoga Bricks or Yoga blocks for support.
- Kneel on the Yoga mat with your hands on the hips.
- The part of the leg below the knees and the ankles should touch the floor.
- Keep your hands at the hip level towards the base of the spine and slowly bend backwards. Your hands will support your back as you bend backwards.
- If you are comfortable in this position you can move to the next step. Remove your hands from the back and touch the sole of your feet.
- Drop your head backwards. This will stretch the throat and the chest region.
- Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds. Beginners should not stay in this position for more than 20 seconds.
- Bring your hands back to the base of your back to support the back on its way up. Slowly raise your upper body to the kneeling position.
- This Asana has to be done gently. Do not force your body to bend backwards beyond the comfort level.
Yoga treatment for hearing loss can be practiced by the young and old. If you are suffering from a chronic ailment, it is advisable to consult your doctor and discuss the above mentioned Asanas before starting.
CAUTION: do not practice Yoga without consulting your family doctor. Some Asanas are not advisable for people suffering from a Migraine, back injuries or chronic back pain. For beginners, it is advisable to consult a Yoga instructor. Make use of proper Yoga accessories for comfort and ease.
To get answers and suggestions to your queries, mention your queries in the EarGuru Forums. Register in the Forums, select Category (e.g Hearing Loss. Hearing Aids, Speech Therapy, Deaf Jobs etc). Your query in forums will get responses from experts and people who are knowledgeable about the subject.